Accueil / / FACEBOOK / You Tube / Flickr / Twitter / Me Contacter / Login
On Wednesday, April 4th Kaio, a Tuvaluan seafarer and Alofa Tuvalu active member organized a workshop with the trainees onboard MV Nivaga II - one of the two Tuvalu interislands vessels - on the topic “Seafarer and Climate Change”. He was the best student at TMTI when he graduated two years ago. Kaio is the first youth Chris and Gilliane met when shooting “Trouble in Paradise” in 2003. Since then he has been part of every Alofa Tuvalu local activities. He lately acted as Alofa Tuvalu facilitator for the biogas in Nanumea project. No sooner was he back on Funafuti and a few days only before leaving the country for over a year on a cargo, Kaio made a point setting up this workshop to raise trainees awareness about ship and seafarers’ contribution to climate change and daily habits on a ship.

The program:

7 pm - Evening Devotion
7.15 pm – Introduction (by John, Alpha Pacific Navigation General Manager and Alofa Tuvalu counterpart in Tuvalu)
7.30 pm - Seafarer and their contribution to Climate Change (Kaio)
7.50 pm - Screening of King Tides Festival video (2x52 min edited by Gilliane, Alofa Tuvalu President about the 2010 Kind Tides Festival activities)
8.40pm - Filling up of evaluation forms
Wrap up and Closing prayer

At night Kaio wrote : “The workshop was a success. John –- did the opening speech and he also presented on MARPOL regulations. Melton – Alofa Tuvalu General Secretary - also asked for an opportunity to present, i did try and fit him in the program, unfortunately he did not attend. I covered up and we finished at 2050hrs."

John added : “I was very impressed with the organization of the workshop, and that Kaio was able to convince all the trainees of “Nivaga II” to attend. They were very attentive. I would say it was a worthwhile workshop.”

06 / 04 / 12 - 12 : 20

28 / 03 / 12 - 11 : 25

Ce qui se passe au Brésil est à vomir. Jusqu'où sont-"ils", sommes-nous, capables d’aller ? 30000 personnes, Presque 3 fois la population de Tuvalu ! Une goutte d’eau dans l’océan de l’humanité, nous savons, mais nous avons signé. Et vous ?

Pétition contre le barrage de Belo Monte

26 / 03 / 12 - 06 : 00

Talofa, Bonjour,Hello and Bula vinaka to you all… i have just arrived in today from Nanumea. Here is a small report of all the activities that i did whilsts stranded for four days on Nanumea Island.

I arrived Nanumea on Sunday the 18th of March 2012 at 0900hrs.Since it was a Sunday, no work could be i rested at one of my friends house and spend the whole day there. On Monday morning i visited the Kaupule and asked them permission for me to continue whatever that is left to be done, the secretary gave me permission and i went ahead and visited the bio-digesters. As per our report that one out of the four units is not working... now it is working as well and the family (Tumau) is also using the bio-gas for cooking. As i visited the families, i notice that the gardens were already been done but the fence for the gardens were local coconut leaves... a very wise idea but pigs are everywhere and they(pigs) can easily tear the coconut leaves down. I asked them if the Kaupule have distributed the chicken wire which the project has provided and they replied "NO".... i wasn't so surprised.

Apart from that everything on Nanumea Island is running smooth and sound and i think the Nanumea Bio-Gas project is a success and it will be successful on the long run

The ladies in Nanumea said that they really miss you alot.....Sikeli i have send your regards and as a matter of fact i did some dedication on the radio. Speaking of the radio, Gilliane i did the interview by myself with the radio team and it is all in tuvaluan... if you still need a copied version i would love to go and ask for it.

I will email other informations later as i am really into a cold shower than dose off in bed. It is still morning but i really need to sleep.



26 / 03 / 12 - 04 : 00

Talofa from the capital island of Funafuti. Sikeli and i arrived 2 nights ago.

Answering your questions and queries : How does it feel to be back after several weeks in "simpler life"...reverse from coming back from very developed countries? I really miss the simpler life....i really do.

Happy to be in town? Not at all...Living in Nanumea,everything was as simple as you could imagine...waking up to fresh winds with waves sounds crashing on the shores...hearing chicken crowing in the wee hours of the morning...laughter of children while bathing in the sea..god i miss those..hahaha

The ship departs on the 14th of next month. We will be buying the fittings and i will take them back to Nanumea, along with the payments of the 2 employees.

Sikeli and I went to TMTI to check on the bio-gas there. Leota is in New Zealand. He is doing his Master Class One on Engineering and a foreign-going licence. So he won't be here for a couple of months. Katepu Malaga is taking over as a Chief Engineer at TMTI and so we took the trip with him and also the new engine staffs of TMTI to the Bio-Digester site and explain to them on how to manage the digester.
The school (TMTI) is awaiting the arrival of the trainees pigs from the central island and will let the trainees run the bio-digester in collaboration with the engine department. Of course i took the pictures...everytime i ask sikeli to do the photo shootings ,he always manage to blur the photos....hahaha

Sikeli will be flying to Fiji on Tuesday 28th and I have already confirmed his bookings from the travels office.

Hugs and lots of love from here.


28 / 02 / 12 - 22 : 32

The island has an interesting history of littered parts of WW2 wreck plane left by the American after defending the pacific island countries. And there was a catholic school established here in the late 1960 and early 1970s but it was abandoned when the father running the school was taken ill and never returned.

We managed to complete all the piggery foundation with Piakas being the last to be done and he killed a pig for us to eat as late lunch. All water tanks were delivered to the respective plant owner and installed on stand as plan…. There was some minor adjustment on the tank because the water was not going out of the outlet pipe as the original desire for use in the garden.

Piaka has been using the waste to water his breadfruit tree near his house and Failase his coconut tree around the house.

I had a one to one discussion with the plant owners to discuss various problems they encounter from bio digester function to piggery problems. As for the pig waste collected from around the island it is very dry because pigs are taking in less water and also the climate condition here seldom go below 30°c. They were told to collect pig waste and then soaked the waste over night to soften the waste before it is poured into the digester.

The three digesters are still working and Steven is very happy with his plant because now his family is able to use the gas to cook tea every morning... The two grandsons staying with him are the one feeding the digester and also looking after the pigs.

Steven water tanks has been installed next to the bio digester by the kitchen using the roofing iron from the kitchen…(he) scarifies one 6x1 timber on his walls of the house to be used as facer board.
Teauli, one of the boys who work with us, was the one who did all the plumbing work on the guttering he modified material so we could have water flowing into the tank.

The plant owner were told to put post on both side of the digester to stabilized it and a 6x1 timber as cross piece so the digester will not to tilt one way or other and they were told what to do. There was some problem with water condensing on the gas pipe. They were told to keep the hose at 45° angle at all time to prevent the water going into the stove. Because if the water enters the stove it will block or damage the stove….. Piaka is plumber and he is well versed with solving the problems.
At Stevens house we tried the old cast iron stove and it also work with the gas burning.
Tuamau still to fill his biodigester with pig waste but we have build the piggery and the tank foundation on his house in the bush.
The five men who assist us with all the work are Malosa, Dusty, Kausaga, Teauli and Taumaeke.

Other activity

- Cassava planting
Liner asked for me to demonstrate the proper way to plant cassava and dalo ni tana (taro family) which has an edible root and can tolerate hot condition. He has a backyard garden where he planted some of his vegetable. The leaves of dalo ni tana can also be used as rourou in coconut milk Fijian style cooking. The kaupule were trying to promote the planting of other food source for the people of Nanumea because pulaka planting is time consuming.

- Pig farmer
I have been asked by a few farmers to teach them how to castrate there pigs and also do teeth clipping on small piglets to prevent the piglet from biting the nipple of the mother pig.
I have been advising them on how to use coconut because they are wasting a lot of coconut by the use of raw nut. To feed their pig and to scrape the coconut for them to use the milk for oil and the left over to be mixed with mill mix and fed to the pigs.

I am still at Nanumea and hope the boat will be here on Thursday 23th of Feb. if all goes well.
Best regard to all, Sikeli

23 / 02 / 12 - 06 : 56


PS: summarizing is good but wanting to keep this blog summary in 6 pages, kept us from telling you about many many things and this include the very nice palagi we met there: Leon from Germany, Graham from the Uk, Falk and Ioanna from Germany as well.

15 / 02 / 12 - 10 : 35

... The Odyssey Expedition of Graham Hugues, "the first Guinness World Record attempt to visit every single sovereign state in the world... without flying."

13 / 02 / 12 - 13 : 50

Bula, Talofa from the island of sunshine and fish eating loving people in the middle of the Pacific ocean.

We visited the islet of Lakena where the people of Nanumea have their plantation of Taro, Pulaka pit for each family and groups with good underground water.

We have started to build piggery foundation. What a change of attitude Tuamau is the first to collect all the sand and gravel and we did his piggery last Friday. He still has to fill the digester with waste now he is telling us he will move the digester to his old house in the bush near the late Esalas house.

Paulo has already built his piggery and the water tank all ready with him.

While Steven’s piggery foundation also completed we are left only with Piaka which will do later in the week.

Steven was so happy that he killed one pig for us to eat for lunch and left over was for our early dinner that day.

The kaupule tractors help to collect sand and gravel for the piggery owner. They also provided one worker to assist the 4 family members with the work of building the piggery.

Not forgetting our friend Mr. Rurunteiti of TMTI who also work here under the government contract assist with the laying of foundation and specification for the piggery and he gave his cement mixing machine for us to use.

We also conducted a workshop on pig management on Monday as was requested by the Agricultural officer KAIPATI. We started the workshop soon after lunch after the kaupule presented the council budget for the next 3 months to the fale kaupule of Nanumea at the Maneapa. The Maneapa was filling with the elders and ladies of the island with youth who help in the meeting of the Kaupule. My estimation was that we got almost all the head of the family of Nunumea about 90 to 100 in the Maneapa. It was to be for one hour only as was agreed upon by the Agricultural officer on the island but workshop when on for about 4 hours and we have to stop the people asking question and ask them to come home for further clarification.

It is the first ever workshop conducted on the island on pig management and the local nurse was also present and she was very impressed with the diseases that could be transmitted to human.
They need to confine their pigs in the pen to prevent the spread of diseases to human. I did a demonstration on teeth clipping and castration for people on the island to follow and learn from.
The kaupule also need to buid a piggery on the island of Lakena and put a bio digester on the island for the caretaker to look after.

We have some welcome rain yesterday which is good and the agricultural nursery was good he has planted the egg plant, tomato and chilies that were given (by Alofa Tuvalu) to him the previous year.
The plant were growing very well in his garden and the one for his wife in front of the house where she planted cabbages, cumber, chilies ,tomatoes and egg plant are growing very well and we have been getting our vegetable from her garden as well as the local Rev Semisi the local priest.

Sorry I could not send picture because of limitation of time. All is well here and the people are slowly responding to some of the issue raised during workshop.

Best regard, Sikeli

09 / 02 / 12 - 11 : 19

Yesterday Monday, February the 6th we ran another workshop for the community under the funding of Nanumea Kaupule for Pig Management on the Island. Sikeli did the workshop while i do the usual.. People enjoyed it and asked alot of questions in relations to bio-gas and pig management...
(We are currently) building piggeries for Bio Gas owners.... still 2 to go.. working under such hot sun with a windy breeze is so good....
hugs from Nanumea

07 / 02 / 12 - 10 : 08

Bula, Greeting from Nanumea

Here as usual is hot and windy. As for our trip on the boat it was full with hardly a space to sleep at night for the next two days luckily we reached Nanumea early Sunday so I could cached up with some wanted sleep.

On Monday we had a meeting with the Kaupule. They were in the dark because the lady looking after the project left and did not do any handing over. After some clarification and the role of Alofa Tuvalu it was agreed that we should see the 4 household who have got the bio digester.

We manage to light 2 bio plant for Piaka we boil a kettle for tea while at Paulo and for that morning Paulo’s wife bake some donut for us and fill half a bucket of biscuit which is great and it lasted for a week.

Tumau still to fill his digester. He has a lot of stories to tell and he has open the out let and drain all the waste out and say that mosquito are breeding inside which is not true. But the kaupule are on him now so they will handle him.

Steven was undecided because of people giving him a bad look when he remove the plant from Isalas home but after our reassurance he has started to fill his plant and our last check gas was coming from his plant and we manage to light it with the gas stove which was fitted later.

As for the piggery with the exception of Paulo who has build some sort of piggery all the rest had not started on it. But for the next two weeks will try and sort thing out with the bio plant owner.

The workshop was ok on waste management for Bio gas with about 80 people attending not counting people standing outside of the Maniyapa peeping in.
The church minister of Nanumea open the workshop with a prayer and all went well and a nice refreshment prepared by the women group. There was some discussion on their pig damaging vegetation on the island and polluting underwater well.

I am running out of time.. Internet here cost a lot and very very slow.

03 / 02 / 12 - 16 : 02

3 bio-digesters are working well. I think by the time the ship arrives all of the 4 bio-digersters will be working well.

03 / 02 / 12 - 16 : 01

Plane situation is worse than ever. There is no news of when (or even if) flights will resume. February is going to be a quiet month in our office. Maybe I should go home again. Oh, no planes!

I like Chris’ (Alofa Tuvalu counterpart in Los Angeles) description of Tuvalu as ‘small-scaled enough where you can actually get a handle on daily cause and effect’. Very apt. I’m having some printers sent from Australia and the courier just emailed asking for my postcode. I replied: ‘ Anything you like. There is no postcode system here. There is only one post office (and one of everything else). There are no postal deliveries. It’s a tiny island. One has to walk to the post office and collect own mail. Postcodes aren’t needed. Of course sometimes computer systems insist on one. I normally use 00000. Computers seems to accept that, even though meaningless’.

03 / 02 / 12 - 16 : 00

Gilliane, what you said to Seinati about being lucky with the plane was absolutely right. Since you left we have not had any planes into here. None. Zero!

Fortunately Government sent “Nivaga II” to Suva on Tuesday and we put ten seafarers on board; the Government is sending “Manu Folau” to Suva on Saturday and we are going to put fourteen seafarers on board. We lose money on airfares because Air Pacific will not refund the full amount and we lose again by having to accommodate so many seafarers in Fiji (and they are getting there too soon for their ships). It’s a lose/lose situation – APNL loses money and Tuvalu
(perhaps) loses jobs. It’s probably a lose/lose/lose situation when you take into account Air Pacific’s losses.

What a mess! Never mind, today is Australia Day and the Australians have decided to award themselves a half day off for a barbecue to celebrate their “island” day. On the other hand it’s 1800hrs already and I still haven’t got out of the office. Ah well, such is life.


03 / 02 / 12 - 15 : 58

Our friend and owner Seinati, also PM’s wife writes: “Willy (PM) is stuck in Suva since Sunday for the plane's mechanical problem. They tried twice with no success and they for the third time also unsuccessful today.”

03 / 02 / 12 - 15 : 58

Nous avons quitté Tuvalu il y a maintenant 5 jours, à en gagner un (jour) et en le reperdant aujourd’hui..

Transit rapide à Suva assez tranquille puisque qu’en plus de 24h, nous n’avons vu « que » Anare et Sarah… Court, 2 nuits aussi le séjour à L.A. et très agréable. merci à Chris et mon amie Dee pour leur disponibilité… repaquetage… délestées des bouteilles plastiques et quelques déchets rapportés de Tuvalu mais alourdies des cadeaux achetés à Fiji et des paquets laissés à l’aller (pile de dvd, et vêtements d’hiver pour affronter le climat parisien). Mon sac accusait 27 kgs à la pesée, il a fallu délester encore. Beaucoup plus simple cependant et moins stressante cette dernière étape de retour… Il y a toujours l’option de laisser des choses à L.A. que Linda pourra rapporter lors d’un de ses voyages. Elle propose toujours d’emporter ou de rapporter ce qui peut nous arranger.

Vol bien plus confortable sur Air France que sur le précédent tronçon avec Air Pacific. : nous avions pu réserver nos sièges avant de partir en novembre et la stratégie de prendre un hublot et un couloir a fonctionné : personne dans le siège du milieu.. Un peu plus d’espace… Pas assez pour s’allonger et dormir mais la sélection de films et le mode de diffusion plus sophistiqué que sur Air Pacific où les maigres films démarrent dès qu’ils mettent en route leur système- m’ont permis de m’enfiler 4 films dont « l’artiste » et « Avatar »…

Débarquées sur la colline vers 16h30…. Fanny, courageuse après une nuit blanche, est rentrée à Chatou. Ca nous fait du bien d’être seule après 2 mois de vie commune presque 24h sur 24.

L.A a été un bon sas certes mais la fraicheur parisienne et les cieux gris comme si le soleil ne réapparaitrait plus jamais sont quand même un sérieux choc thermique… Enfilé 3 couches, et après quelques heures à me réapproprier les lieux, je me sens presque posée… … J’ai identifié les passages dans la maison : clairement Evye, à qui j’avais offert de rester quelques jours en mon absence a accepté mon invitation. Pas un mot mais un peu de bordel dans mes verres à vin et à champagne… Sam aussi a dû passer, vue la manière dont étaient posés mes oreillers.. Et bien sûr Eli qui relevait le courrier et nous informait des choses urgentes. C’est la seule personne que j’ai appelée ce soir, elle a confirmé mes sentiments des visites.

Vidés les sacs composés de matos (cameras, 4 disques durs d’1 et 2 To, les bandes de 2010 qu’il m’avait fallu emporter pour finir de monter quelques séquences), de papiers qui représentent une bonne pile, vêtements, cadeaux divers, quelques coquillages et une bonne douzaine des bouquins que j’avais accumulés dans la maison de Tuvalu. Les sacs vidés sont hors de vue, et leurs contenus déposés ici ou là pour consolidation, le courrier est passé en revue et classé, « a payer », « à voir », « à classer »… Tout reste à dispatcher et à traiter, mais j’ai à peu à peu retrouvé mes marques.

Un début de liste pour demain et pour le mois. A commencer par appeler les entreprises qui doivent changer la véranda du bureau et les baies de la cuisine.. Ces travaux devraient perturber pas mal notre fonctionnement mais peut être aussi nous donner la possibilité d’archiver et de mieux nous organiser encore.

Et puis Farrah… son savon au lait d’ânesse…, sa photo sur mon bureau posée là après son anniversaire… En cherchant le soleil, je me dis que Paris la pleure et je le comprends..

29 / 01 / 12 - 08 : 51

Ce samedi on passera une paire d’heures chaleureuses avec Sarah installée pour plusieurs mois à Suva avant le voyage en bus qui traverse Fiji la verdoyante de Suva à Nadi. Le chauffeur était un peu nerveux mais nous a néanmoins conduits à bon port et forcément avec un peu d’avance à l’aéroport..

29 / 01 / 12 - 08 : 47

Appel enthousiaste de Sarah pour fixer un rendez-vous samedi avant notre départ. Set ! Quelques emails, une connexion plus rapide que celle de Tuvalu est appréciable. Un mot aux garçons à Nanumea. Kaio doit encore nous envoyer quelques infos pour qu’on envoie un CP sur les avancés du biogaz, aux médias tuvaluens. Un email au conseiller culturel de l’Ambassade pour lui dire que nous serons à Nadi le lendemain, puisqu’il avait proposé de nous y retrouver pour un verre. La journée file sans qu’on s’en aperçoive, sans doute qu’on décompresse.

29 / 01 / 12 - 08 : 47

L’arrivée à Suva, après deux heures et demi d’avion seulement est le début d’un autre monde. Définitivement plus bruyant, plus speed, plus enfumé - même si Fiji a réduit notablement la part de soufre dans son essence -, plus tartiné de pubs – même si à Tuvalu ça commence -, plus fourni en fruits de toutes sortes et c’est là qu’on a couru en arrivant : au marché !

A l’aéroport, Gilliane est allée payer le billet retour de Sikeli. Pendant que je discutais avec Ron, le taxi driver qui nous accompagnerait à l’hôtel… Un mail pour seule réservation, Gilliane y est autant chez elle qu’à Tuvalu, « bien sûr qu’on t’a préparé une chambre. »

Ron, courageux indien comme tant d’autres qui n’ont pas eu le choix, a perdu son père à 5 ans. Enfants, il faisait des rotis avec sa sœur avant de partir à l’école pour apporter un peu d’argent au foyer. Ses enfants apprennent la musique. Ce sont les enfants de Ron qui profiteront des cordes que Sarah avait laissées pour notre copain Kalisi que nous n’avons pas croisé avant de partir.

Après un plein de fruits, mail à Sarah pour la prévenir de notre arrivée : elle répond qu’elle est en retraite d’équipe avec ses collègues de l’USP, à une paire d’heures de Suva, rentre samedi.. C’est malin, si on n’avait su…, Sarah était la raison numéro un de notre stop fidjien. Mail à Sholto (Undp) qu’on n’avait pas réussi à voir à l’aller, elle était malade. On aimerait bien la mettre à jour sur les dernières et positives avancées sur le projet de biogaz à Nanumea, mais cette fois, elle boucle un cycle de réunions et n’aura pas le temps de nous voir. Ok..

Le téléphone sonne. C’est Anare. Aujourd’hui Uicn, Anare est un soutien fidèle ami, c’est grâce à lui lorsqu’il était à la SOPAC qu’avec le soutien de l’ADEME également, on a lancé les mises en place et formations au biogaz à Amatuku et sorti la première mouture de la tradution tuvaluenne d’ « A l’eau, la Terre ». « C’est toi que j’ai vu entrer dans un resto hier soir ? » dit-il à Gilliane, qui confirme. « Vous faites quoi ? » Elle explique Sarah et Sholto. « On est libres ». « Ok je passe vous chercher pour boire un verre. » Il cherche toujours à faire connaître à Gilliane des lieux nouveaux, cette fois c’est le yacht club d’où espère-t’il, nous apercevrons le coucher du soleil. On tombe en pleine cérémonie d’adieu à un défunt, adjointe d’une tombola pour les membres du club, quant au soleil, il a décidé de se planquer derrière les nuages. Par chance, il fait bon, la cérémonie est tranquille et le gagnant de la tombola est appelé dès le second tirage, c’est donc vite remballé. Anare a dit qu’il attendait avec impatience le blog en anglais. Pendant que Gilliane lui racontait la mission, il commentait chacune des nouvelles en se réjouissant entre autres de la confirmation de la nomination d’ambassadrice – « c’est le moins que Tuvalu puisse faire en reconnaissance de tout ce que tu investis pour eux » - de temps à autre il disait « ah c’est donc ça cette photo sur le blog » ou bien « ah oui la donation à l’école, j’ai lu dans la newsletter ». Très mignon sa manière de montrer combien il suit et s’intéresse à ce qu’on fait. Pour le projet scooter, il n’a pas vraiment de deadline, même s’il ne s’attendait pas à ce que Gilliane lui dise qu’elle ne revenait que dans 10 mois, difficile de savoir si c’est l’ami ou le funder qui a fait une petite tête, mais sans doute un peu des deux, on va essayer d’avancer sur le projet entre temps.

29 / 01 / 12 - 08 : 45

Dès 6h30, les gamins étaient tassés devant la porte à nous appeler. Ils avaient proposé la veille de venir nous aider dès 5h ☺. Heu… La plupart portaient leur tshirt Alofa Tuvalu ou Jour de la Terre. Ils voulaient aider à finir les bagages, ranger la maison.. Vraiment trop mignons. Ils ont été notre rayon de soleil quotidien même les jours de pluie, de 1an1/2 à 13 ans. On a été pendant 7 semaines leurs vacances, leur spectacle, leurs amies…. Une affection que les plus grands Malei et Elega traduisent par « amour ». Extrêmement touchant et source de fous rires entre nous quelquefois. Ils ont eu accès libre à notre jardin et y construisaient puis détruisaient puis remontaient leur fale fait de bric et de broc devant notre terrasse… leur présence autour de la maison de 8h à 20 était rafraichissante, leurs appels incessants au début dès qu’ils nous voyaient, puis pour nous montrer quelques choses, se faire remarquer, attirer notre attention, quelquefois un peu trop, mais nos échanges quotidiens en anglo-tuvaluen ou par gestes, par l’exemple. à tout sujet ont consolidé une affection qui s’était construite depuis 2006 quand nous avons investi la maison de la péninsule. Ces derniers jours ils semblaient ne plus bouger du jardin, de sous nos balcons, comme s’ils nous voulaient le plus possible, le plus longtemps possible… Les plus petits ont crié nos noms avant ceux de leur frères et sœurs… Nous faisons partie de leur famille, sans même connaître leurs parents, nous faisons partie de la nation de Tuvalu, même si comme dans tout ensemble, certains s’égarent sur des routes qui ne sont pas les nôtres…

On leur a distribué les restes du frigo, la plupart quand ils ont un frigo n’ont pas de lait, fruits, gâteaux, chocolat, glace… Ils se sont installés dans le jardin sur la dalle de béton pour un pique-nique. On leur expliqué qu’on allait enregistrer les bagages et qu’on revenait faire le ménage et leur dire au revoir.

Willy, le fidjien qui gère l’énorme magasin de Susie, notre ancienne Présidente locale, avait proposé de nous accompagner à l’aéroport en pick-up. C’était bienvenu. Après nous avoir bloqué le chemin tous les jours avec leurs camions, ça nous semblait un remerciement sympathique pour notre patience. C’est Tenene qui nous conduit. La veille il avait dit à Gilliane qu’il avait vu un scooter électrique, comme le notre mais blanc, il doit nous donner le nom du propriétaire. Halte chez Alpha pour stocker les cartons de bouffe et alcools pour le prochain voyage, baisers à Sina, la femme d’Eti que nous n’étions pas sures de revoir et direction l’aéroport où nous avons demandé à pouvoir laisser en évidence le sac transparent des déchets que nous remportions dans nos valises : objets cassés, piles et batteries, aérosols, bouteilles plastiques etc.

Après l’enregistrement, au revoir à Nala tout en émotions et direction Grace pour régler la note de la moto. Le vieux qui a fait la note s’est un peu lâché, 450 dollars, à ce prix là on aurait pu l’acheter… Après négo, c’est descendu à 360. Pour la petite histoire, nous comptions sur notre mob électrique que Leota, le mari de Grace avait emportée à Amatuku et qui y est restée pendant tout notre séjour. Il était pour nous hors de question de payer le prix fort alors que nous aurions pu rouler pendant deux mois gratuitement… à condition bien sûr que la batterie ne lâche pas ☺

Retour à la maison pour une séance de ménage assistée des plus grands de nos petits voisins… Toluafe et Stella aux balais, Elega a la vaisselle, moi au frigo, Fanny à la salle de bain…

Après un train de hug devant la maison, quatre d’entre eux se sont mis en route pour l’aéroport, parmi lesquels évidemment Maeli et Elega, Lesley et Alicia. Ils nous ont accompagnées jusqu’à la dernière seconde, Elega tirant ma valise... On sentait la tristesse les gagner depuis quelques jours. Elega n’arrêtait pas de dire « I’m not happy ». L’aboutissement de leur peine grandissante a explosé ce matin à notre départ : au dernier hug, Elega et Maeli se sont effondrés dans les bras l’un de l’autre, en sanglots.

A l’aéroport, parmi ceux qui avaient bravé la pluie pour venir dire au revoir, Tataua (RedCross) qui nous confirme le remplacement de Pula par Pepetua à la tête de TuCan – une excellente nouvelle que nous avait rapporté Melton la veille -, Tafue (EKT), le gentil fou Lasalo, Katalina (éducation), Siuila (prof), le gentil vieux Teveia, Risasi la grande copine de Gilliane et notre trésorière qui vient rarement à l’aéroport surtout quand elle est en plein bilan comptable, la femme de Josh (media) etc., on a failli partir avec le fromage promis à Lee qui le voyait déjà en haut de la pizza, c’est Eti qui lui donnera, lui qui est peu démonstratif a attrapé Gilliane comme un grand frère en lui massant les omoplates. Et puis on a eu le temps de glisser à Penni le tensiomètre. C’est à peu près tout ce dont nous nous souvenons. Le sentiment global est que c’était vraiment bon. Et nous avons remercié la pluie battante d’avoir limité les effusions et raccourci les adieux… car bien sûr une grande partie de nos amis n’a pas pu venir..

29 / 01 / 12 - 08 : 44

Précédent Suivant

powered by pppBLOG v 0.3.6